Thursday, August 18, 2016

Patterns for Ministry, Part 1

Photo by ∿ Izee ∿ not-really-all-here
Scripture: Luke 10:4-7
“Carry no money belt, no bag, no shoes; and greet no one on the way.  “Whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace be to this house.’  “If a man of peace is there, your peace will rest on him; but if not, it will return to you.  “Stay in that house, eating and drinking what they give you; for the laborer is worthy of his wages. Do not keep moving from house to house.

Insights: The fourth principle for effective ministry is recognizing patterns of ministry. In the passage we have been looking at this entire week there are four patterns. Today we are going to look at those first two patterns. The first pattern is we need to financially depend on the Lord. Notice in verse four that Jesus instructed His followers to not carry money belts, bags, and shoes. In other words, we are to be completely and utterly dependent upon the Lord for our financial provisions. I must tell you I truly struggle in this pattern. There are Scriptures that describe us as being good stewards which count the cost, and then there are other passages, like this one, that show we must step out even when we don't know from where the provisions are coming. Balancing these two truths is often a difficult task for me. The second pattern we see in verse is 5 through 7 is we need to be looking for a person of peace. The penetration of the gospel into a community is much easier when there is a person of peace within the community. A person of peace is one who was able to be a mediator between us, Christ followers, and the individuals within the community. It is even better, in terms of the gospel, when this person of peace receives Jesus as his/her Lord and Savior. Our job, As Christians, is to seek out this person peace and pray they become receptive to the gospel. Beloved, let us follow these two patterns as we desire to share the gospel with a watching world.

Questions:
1. Do you truly trust God with your finances?
2. As you engage in ministry, do you intentionally look for a person of peace?

Prayer: Father, all too often I do not live my life as if I trust You. Please forgive me for my lack of faith and increase my faith as I do seek You out. Also, as I continue to serve You, help me to fined people of peace with whom I may share the gospel.  Amen.


If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  I would also appreciate if you would tell your friends to read this blog.  As always, if you have a comment you would like to make regarding this Thoughts by Scott, please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment