Monday, July 4, 2016

Happy 4th of July!

Photo by Bill Dickinson
Today marks the day in our history in which we celebrate the signing of the Declaration of Independence.  This year is the second year I have had my children under my care for 4th of July, but it is the first year in which they were residing here in the United States of America.  I feel a heavier weight this year to make certain my daughters understand the importance of our national freedom which was so costly paid for by our founding fathers.

I recently listened to a podcast that is produced in Canada.  The host of the show was talking about the way people think as a result of the birth of their country.  In other words, America was birthed out of conflict and personal rights that we felt had been violated.  Canada, on the other had, did not get birthed out of conflict and as a result they are a much more relaxed people who mostly go with the flow.

I sense there is truth in this podcasts hosts perspective regarding worldview.  As one born in the United States there is a fierce determination to be on the side of right and justice.  It is an aspect that is innately born in most citizens of this great nation.  I do not think every nation ought to be governed like us.  Lord knows our current political system is broken and damaged, yet it is the one to which I strongly support and adhere to.

Yesterday at church I challenged families to speak with their children and grandchildren about the importance of this day.  I am personally showing my daughters two cartoon style histories of our nation.  It is not an in depth history.  In fact, it only is about ten minutes long.  It does, however, give a good overview of the reasons and causes for our Independence.  You can view this two videos at the following link:


Let me encourage you at some point today to reflect on our nation.  Let us not just enjoy food, fun, family and fireworks.  Rather, let us remember the importance of this great day and be grateful for God’s grace He has allowed to fall on us in spite of ourselves.

The remainder of this week will be me expounding on my sermon Sunday as it was centrally located around our nation and the lessons we could learn from Israel in it’s fledgling state under king David.  I hope you come back the remainder of this week and learn about what kind of men and women God uses to change a course of a nation.  It is my hope you will be such a person.

To God be the glory on this day and may He bless the United States of America.


If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  I would also appreciate if you would tell your friends to read this blog.  As always, if you have a comment you would like to make regarding this Thoughts by Scott, please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment