Tuesday, October 28, 2014

God is the Evaluator of Results

Scripture: Luke 19:14-23
But his citizens hated him and sent a delegation after him, saying, ‘We do not want this man to reign over us.’ When he returned, after receiving the kingdom, he ordered that these slaves, to whom he had given the money, be called to him so that he might know what business they had done. The first appeared, saying, ‘Master, your mina has made ten minas more.’ And he said to him, ‘Well done, good slave, because you have been faithful in a very little thing, you are to be in authority over ten cities.’ The second came, saying, ‘Your mina, master, has made five minas.’ And he said to him also, ‘And you are to be over five cities.’ Another came, saying, ‘Master, here is your mina, which I kept put away in a handkerchief; for I was afraid of you, because you are an exacting man; you take up what you did not lay down and reap what you did not sow.’ He *said to him, ‘By your own words I will judge you, you worthless slave. Did you know that I am an exacting man, taking up what I did not lay down and reaping what I did not sow? Then why did you not put my money in the bank, and having come, I would have collected it with interest?’

Insights: Today’s verses are very long, but the explanation is fairly straight forward.  There are three types of accommodations given in this passage, and unfortunately, I think most believers think they will fall into the first category.  I, on the other hand, do not feel most will fall into that category, but the second and possibly even the third.  Here are the categories: firstly, the “Well done, good slave.”  This category is known as the good accommodation and is given to those who have spent their lives to the furtherance of the Master’s kingdom.  They worked very hard and their one mina turned into ten minas.  Secondly, there is the no accommodation group.  These people serve the Lord and even help expand His kingdom, but they are not bragged upon by the Lord.  All that is said of them is, “And you are to be over five cities.”  This second group did not receive a “Well done!”  Thirdly, there is the bad accommodation or better stated the rebuked category.  This third group is told they are worthless because they did absolutely nothing with the life change Jesus brought into their lives.  Beloved, it is my hope that you are a part of the first group and God is brought glory through your lives.

Questions:
1.  As you look to your eternal future, which accommodation do you think you will receive?
2.  If you do not believe you would receive the “well done,” what are you willing to do to change that outcome?

Prayer: Father, I desperately want to hear You say, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”  Transform my heart to one of obedience and let Your glory shine through me that all people will see Jesus and know that I serve Him.  Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment