Friday, September 26, 2014

How Do You Handle the Difficult Situations of Life, Part 4

Scripture: Esther 4:15-17
Then Esther told them to reply to Mordecai, “Go, assemble all the Jews who are found in Susa, and fast for me; do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my maidens also will fast in the same way. And thus I will go in to the king, which is not according to the law; and if I perish, I perish.” So Mordecai went away and did just as Esther had commanded him.

Insights: Today’s verses conclude our thoughts for this week.  These verses are probably the second most quoted from this little book.  It is in today’s verses that Esther has come to the place of complete sacrifice.  She is willing to give her very life for the service of her people and for the glory of her Lord.  She tells Mordecai and the rest of the Jewish people to fast and pray for the Lord’s favor to be on her as she has surrendered to the reality that she must go before the king.  She is going before the king to ask him to pardon her people, but to go before the king is a very risky proposition.  As she had already laid out in her time of excuse making, the king could have her put to death just for approaching his thrown without a summons having been issued.  Esther has committed to going before the king and says, the second most quoted line, “and if I perish, I perish.”  What a resolve she had.  She knew she had to stand for her people.  She understood that she had won the beauty pageant not just to be queen, but to be a vital instrument in the saving of her people from destruction.  She has resolved her fate to be in the hands of the Most High.  If she is to die, it will be in a pursuit after Him.  Beloved, this needs to be our attitude and heart beat.  We must say yes to the Lord no matter what the consequences of that decision are.  We must seek His glory and put our wills and personal desires to death.  May your life reflect such a heart commitment and pursuit.  To His great name be praise!

Questions:
1.  Are you ready to sacrifice of yourself in order for the Lord’s will to be accomplished?
2.  What is holding you back from total surrender to the Lord’s commands?

Prayer: Father, I really do want my heart to be ready for total sacrifice to You.  All too often I fall and sin with what we would call little sins in my daily life.  In moments like these I wonder how I would be able to sacrifice of my very being for Your glory.  So, I ask You to strengthen my heart and let me desire You and Your love more than anything this world has to offer.  All for Your glory, Lord!  Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment