Friday, May 9, 2014

Your Ultimate Defense is in the Lord

Scripture: 2 Samuel 16:12
"Perhaps the LORD will look on my affliction and return good to me instead of his cursing this day."

Insights: Today’s verse puts everything into the proper perspective.  The proper perspective is really found in the first few words, “perhaps the Lord….”  To write it differently, David understood that only the Lord could be his true defender against Shimei.  As a result, David is basically stating, “God, if it be Your will to restore good to me in the midst of this vile man’s stone throwing, then it is up to You.  I cannot defend myself and I trust You to work this out for Your glory.”  Beloved, this, however, is our problem.  We do not really trust the Lord to defend us.  I mentioned yesterday Jesus’ example was similar to David’s.  Jesus did not defend Himself at the false trials.  He was lead as a lamb to slaughter.  He gave up His life and was vindicated three days later by His Father as He was raised from the dead.  We need to come to the place in our spiritual life where we really live by faith.  It will cost us to trust Jesus, but it is always worth it.  So, the next time you are assaulted by a stone thrower, it is my recommendation you follow the biblical response procedure.  Remain quiet and trust the Lord to defend you in His time and in His way.  Your surrender to Him will be a greater testimony to the stone thrower than you could ever imagine.  Let your faith grow in Jesus as He defends you.  May He be brought glory through your obedience and surrender.

Questions:
  1. Are you fully depending on the Lord to be your defender?
  2. Do you think you could do a better job at defending yourself than the Lord could?

Prayer: Father, oh so often I am like Abishai and want to take the entire situation in my own hands and defend myself.  I falter as I fight for my own justification as if I am a better warrior than You.  Lord, please forgive me.  Grant me Your peace and let me rest in You and You alone.  I know You are the better defender.  You fight this battle for me and let me learn to be content with You as David was in this dark time in his life.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment