Wednesday, May 7, 2014

An Example of the Inappropriate Response to Stone Throwers

Scripture: 2 Samuel 16:9
Then Abishai the son of Zeruiah said to the king, "Why should this dead dog curse my lord the king? Let me go over now and cut off his head."

Insights: Abishai is one of my favorite characters in the Bible.  He is the kind of guy you want with you if you are walking down a dark alley at night in a strange neighborhood.  No one is going to mess with you once they see Abishai.  He only has three references in the Bible and all three times he is either taking someone’s head or asking to take someone’s head.  Even though I really like this guy and I appreciate his bold perspective on life, he is a little short fussed.  As we go and look at the rest of the Scriptures and especially Jesus’ teachings regarding our enemies, we quickly find that Abishai displayed for us the wrong way of handling stone throwers.  His approach is the same as the Red Queen in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and we will learn tomorrow, David has to rein this guy back into control.  Beloved, let me caution you to not act before you think through the situation.  Ask the Lord to control your retaliatory response system when you are hit with stones by those who throw them.  May the grace of the Lord protect you and keep you from making a bad situation worse by an all-out assault driven by revenge.

Questions:
  1. When you are falsely accused are you tempted to take heads and let the carnage fall where it may?
  2. Do you think this temporary satisfaction of vindication is going to under after you have had time to truly think about the situation?

Prayer: Father, protect me from being rash in my actions against those who have hurt me.  Let me respond as Jesus would respond and trust in You to be my defender.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment