Monday, May 5, 2014

Are You in Awe of Your Experiences?

Scripture: 2 Samuel 23:17
and he said, "Be it far from me, O LORD, that I should do this. Shall I drink the blood of the men who went in jeopardy of their lives?" Therefore he would not drink it. These things the three mighty men did.

Insights: The final scene is found in today’s verse.  The men came back and David has just poured out the water before them.  Then verse seventeen tells us why he poured out the water for which he so longed.  To have drunk the water would have been the same as to have drunk these men’s blood.  They were willing to sacrifice their very lives for their love of David.  Their great gesture of love humbled David and put these men’s work in awe before David.  He is stunned by their gift to him.  For the final time this week, we look at the spiritual parallel of this passage in our own lives.  God is always at work around us.  I wonder, however, if we have grown so complacent in our Christian walk that we are no longer dazzled and amazed by God’s great glory and grace.  God’s activities ought to bring us to a place of utter awe before His majesty.  Even as I type this I am reminded of a conversation I had this morning where a young man felt compelled to inquire about the eternal condition of his schoolmates and over twenty of them prayed to receive Jesus into their hearts.  This event happened today after an entire school year of discipling these kids in a Bible study before school.  They had heard all year long about Jesus and now they responded in faith to Him.  This singular event ought to inspire us and help us be in awe of God’s great power.  Beloved, let us pursue obedience with the Lord and let us be stunned by His manifest presence and activity in our lives.

Questions:
  1. Are you in awe of your experiences?
  2. What magnificent thing is the Lord doing in your life presently that is putting you in this state of awe?

Prayer: Father, You are amazing and awesome.  Your majesty overwhelms me and Your work humbles me.  Thank You for Your great presence in my life and for opening my eyes to Your activity.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment