Tuesday, May 13, 2014

While You Live, Live Bravely

Scripture: 1 Kings 2:2b-c
Be strong, therefore, and show yourself a man.

Insights: David is about to die and he is informing his son that life is going to be full of challenges, obstacles and opportunities.  As a result, he must face those events like a man and in this context what David is commissioning his son to do is live bravely.  I think one of the greatest challenges the church of America is facing is a lack of bold believers living for Jesus in a brave manner.  We have so lowered our expectation level of what it means to be a follower of Christ that if anything better or more exciting comes along, we often times choose that event.  I wonder what our world would look like if we had great athletes in school tell their coaches up front, “I am sorry coach, but I am a Christian, and as such, I just won’t be able to make it to all the practices or games if they conflict with a church activity?”  And what if that kid was so good at his sport or activity that the coach or instructor said, “That’s okay, we will take you when you can be here?”  I know this illustration is farfetched and even a little unrealistic, but ought it to be farfetched and unrealistic.  If we are going to show ourselves to be brave for Jesus, then ought He not to be first and foremost in our lives?  The answer is a resounding, “YES!!!”  Beloved, let me challenge you, just as David challenged Solomon, to show yourself a man or show yourself to be a woman and live bravely for the Lord.  Tomorrow, we will look at how you are able to live this kind of life out before a watching world.

Questions:
  1. In what ways are you living bravely for the Lord?
  2. Have you raised your expectation level in regards to your devotion to the Lord?

Prayer: Father, You have called me to live a life of bravery.  Give me the courage to accept whatever challenge, obstacle, or opportunity You present to me.  May my life honor You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment