Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Disciples are Knowledgeable Not Ignorant

Scripture: Ephesians 4:13b & 14b

and in the knowledge of the Son of God … tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, 

Insights: The second positive and negative coupling deals with knowledge and ignorance.  Disciples are knowledgeable of the Son of God, Jesus.  I have written this thought before, but it bears repeating.  The Triune God is infinite in being and character.  Many believe that when we get to heaven we will know everything.  I think that notion is an incorrect interpretation of that verse (1 Cor. 13:12).  I think the point Paul is striving to make is that the sin bearer will be removed and we will have the capacity to learn truth about God in and unhindered state.  I bring all of this up to say in eternity we will continue to learn more and more about the character and nature of Jesus because He is infinite.  Until we enter into heaven we have as our primary, and only authoritative, tool for knowing Jesus found in the Bible.  We ought to wake up each morning excited about what we are going to learn from the Word of God that day.  What new truth about Jesus will we discover that will richly impact our intimacy with Him.  The more we know about Him the less the negative aspect will come into play.  It is those who are ignorant of what the Scriptures have to say that are tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine.  Before I offend my reading audience, ignorance is not the same as stupidity.  An ignorant person may be very intelligent.  I don’t think, for example, that I am stupid (now I may not be the brightest bulb in the bundle and my elevator may not go all the way to the top floor), but I am ignorant to a great many things.  To further illustrate this ignorance in my life: I know absolutely nothing about automobiles or for that matter anything mechanical.  My father was a mechanic and I did not learn a single thing through being born of his blood and I did not invest the time to learn because I enjoy my blissful ignorance toward the automobile.  Beloved, the primary area in which we must not be ignorant is the personal relationship found in Jesus Christ that is cultivate through a daily abiding with Him and growing in His Word.  Do not let excuses or bad habits prevent you from daily seeking Him out in the Bible.  Grow every day in your walk with Jesus. 

Questions:
  1. Are you growing in your relationship with Jesus and daily learning more about Him?
  2. Are you easily swayed to believe anything someone tells you?
Prayer: Father, ground me in the knowledge found in the Bible and give me the wisdom to not be easily entangled in the deceptive words of those who would lead me away from Your Son, Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment