Thursday, October 4, 2012

Self-love is being Propagated


Scripture: Jeremiah 5:30-31
"An appalling and horrible thing Has happened in the land: The prophets prophesy falsely, And the priests rule on their own authority; And My people love it so! But what will you do at the end of it?

Insights: The final problem which occurred in Jeremiah’s day was the people loved the false prophets and the earthly rule.  I have stated throughout this week that I believe the same problem exists today in the American Church.  I believe this is the only explanation for 6,000 churches every year closing their doors and 3, 500 people walking away from the church every day and only one out of ten ministers making it to “retirement” years.  How often throughout these Thoughts by Scott have I referenced James 4:4, “You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God?  Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.”  The sad reality is the church has become so infiltrated by the world system that we are choosing friendship with the world.  It is for this reason that Jeremiah said in that thirtieth verse, “An appalling and horrible thing Has happened in the land.”  Today’s thought is much shorter than normal because this final point is in many ways a recap of the previous three days.  I will say this, however, to leave you with some hope.  Just because I believe this is an accurate assessment of the average American Church, does not mean I believe there is no hope.  In fact I think there is a great deal of hope and that is what I am going to write about tomorrow.  Tomorrow I will give you what I believe the answer is to the problem of the American Church.

Questions:
  1. Do you love the things of this world more than the Father?
  2. If your life was on trial for your love of God, would you be convicted?
Prayer: Father, forgive me, for I so often fall prey to the trappings of this world.  Keep my heart at rest in You.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment