Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Hope is the Result of Joy


Scripture: Philippians 1:18f-20
Yes, and I will rejoice, for I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayers and the provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ, according to my earnest expectation and hope, that I will not be put to shame in anything, but that with all boldness, Christ will even now, as always, be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.

Insights: What do you do with a guy like Paul?  He was of such a singular mind that every thought and action he took was pointing him to that singular purpose in his life.  Such an intense focus brought about great joy in Paul’s life.  As a way of review, the singular objective of Paul’s life was the exaltation of Christ Jesus as he proclaimed the gospel to a lost world.  The result of such great joy was hope in Christ’s magnification and his future well-being.  At this point, we return to my first sentence.  What do you do with a guy like Paul?  Here is what I mean by such a question: Paul had great hope in his deliverance from his present imprisonment.  He viewed his deliverance in two ways.  One, he would be physically released because he would be vindicated when he stood before Caesar.  Two, he would be spiritually released because he would be condemned when he stood before Caesar and his life would be taken from him.  Either way, he was going to be delivered and either way he was going to exalt Christ Jesus.  Paul’s only prayer through either option was that he would in no way be put to shame for his faith in His Lord and Savior, Jesus.  He did not want any word or action from him to put a negative light on Jesus.  He desired to be faithful no matter what and to be a vessel of exaltation for Jesus.  For the third time I ask, what do you do with a guy like Paul?  If he is set free, he exalts Jesus!  If he is sentenced to death, he exalts Jesus!  If he remains in prison, he exalts Jesus!  In other occasions, he had been beaten, stoned, insulted and the list goes on and on, but he exalts Jesus!  What do you do with a guy with that kind of singular mind and focus?  Beloved, you emulate him.  Set your heart and life to such a purpose that all you care about is the glorification of your Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  Live out of joy because you are sharing Jesus.  Know the hope of your future is secure in Christ.

Questions:
  1. Do you have a hopeful outlook on your future?
  2. Does your hope produce exaltation for your Lord?
Prayer: Father, thank You for the overflowing joy I have in my life.  Because of You and Your presence my joy produces great hope for my future.  May I exalt You in every endeavor You place before me.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment