Friday, February 17, 2017

Love is Expressed by Supernatural Responses

Photo by Juliana Coutino
This blog ought to have been February 16, 2017

Scripture: 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Insights: In these verses today we find fifteen characteristics of love.  The very first thing I want you to notice about these characteristics is they are actions, attitudes and behaviors by which we demonstrate our love.  In other words, love is not a feeling or an emotion.  It is volitional at its very core.  I must admit, however, it is not volitional in our own power.  Love of the kind described by Paul is supernatural in nature.  Only God can stir the heart of a person to respond to offense and difficulties with a love that endures all things.  The problem with humanity is we too often express love toward others based on the way in which they have first displayed love toward us.  If they have been genuine and sincere with us, then we reciprocate, but if they have been harsh or unworthy, then we revoke our love and no longer endure through the hard times of the relationship.  As I personally evaluate my life, I am gripped by the reality I do not display this kind of love to the world.  I am jealous and a braggart.  I unfortunately do act unbecomingly all to often and am selfish at the core of my sinful self.  Even though these sentences are true, I fully recognize these statements are not the real me.  The real me is born again and the old me which bears resemblance to these statements has been crucified with Christ Jesus.  As a result, He supernaturally empowers me to display the kind of love described in verses four through seven.  Beloved, let us each learn to die daily to our old nature and let our new nature in Jesus be displayed before a world.  May they come to a saving knowledge of Jesus as a result of our expression of His love which He manifests in us.  May God be brought glory because of our obedience.  Let us love as Jesus would have us to love and empowers us to love.

Questions:
1. Is your expression of love supernatural in nature?
2. Or is your love conditional upon the response of another?

Prayer: Father, thank You for loving me no matter how I treat You.  Your love is perfectly displayed in the fifteen character traits mentioned in these verses today.  Thank You for this amazing limitless love.  Grow me in Your grace and help me to live this love out as well.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment