Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Journeys have Low Moments

Photo by Jim Surkamp
Scripture: Acts 14:2
But the Jews who disbelieved stirred up the minds of the Gentiles and embittered them against the brethren.

Insights: There have been times in my life in which people have been embittered against me.  These moments were never fun and I can say I truly did not relish those moments like I do the high moments.  We are using this week the analogy of a journey.  One of the things that was always a truth in my backpacking trips during college was when we reached the top, we would start going back down into a valley.  At the top there was sunshine and cool breezes.  In the valley there were dark shadows and the air did not move as freely.  From the top you could see for miles, but from the valley your vision was limited to your path and a few yards of foliage.  This thought is true in our spiritual life as well.  We will walk these times in the valley.  We will be attacked by those who do not see the big picture which we saw on the mountain top.  In the valley it is much more difficult to hear the voice of our Father, but His path is right there before us and He calls us to walk on it.  I have encouraged you to read John Bunyan’s Pilgrim’s Progress before and I encourage you again.  This weeks Thoughts by Scott mirror that amazing allegory very well.  The difference is Bunyan has an amazing talent of painting a life picture through his character Christian that I do not possess.  Beloved, when you are in the low moments on your journey with Jesus, I would encourage you to find the life lessons He wants you to learn.  The Father is not caprice in His nature and does not take us through low moments for some twisted pleasure.  He does allow, and sometimes even guides us through, these low moments so we can learn something new about Him.  Sometimes the new thing is not actually new, but a deeper, more richer understanding of who He is.  When you are in these low moments ask Him what He wants you to know and then fix your heart on these lessons until you reach the high moment again.  Let me tell you another truth I learned on these backpacking trips.  When you did reach the lowest point, the trail took us back up to the next high point.  Your spiritual journey does the same thing.  Enjoy Him in the journey.

Questions:
1. What are some of the low moments in your journey with Jesus?
2. What life lessons do these low moments teach you about the Lord?

Prayer: Father, it is not an easy thing for me to thank You for the low moments, but You have told us to give You thanks in everything.  May You use these low moments of my life and teach me more about You and Your great love for me. Amen.


If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment