Monday, February 9, 2015

Worship God as You Obey the Law

Scripture: 1 Peter 2:13-14
Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right.

Insights:  After having preached this sermon yesterday, I have received more comments regarding this first point than any other from the sermon.  This point must have convicted a lot of people.  The gist of the point is that we are to obey the government as an established authority of the Lord.  As a result we ought to worship Him as we obey the law of the land.  I did not use this first example while I preached, but I did have a conversation or two with a couple of outdoorsmen in my church afterwards.  Here is where I began to truly meddle with some people.  I asked one if he was a poacher and because he has broken the laws regarding hunting seasons and limits before, the only answer he could have given was, yes.  I informed him that he was not worshipping the Lord in his hunting if he poached.  In my sermon I asked how many obeyed the speed limit signs.  This point was the one many came and spoke about with me.  They did not wish to obey the traffic signs and gave me all kinds of reasons for their rebellion against such laws.  These individuals are not worshipping the Lord in their surrender to the governing authority God established.  I went on to explain to them that the only time it was acceptable to rebel against the governing authority of the city, state, or country was when a law was passed that violated God’s laws.  I also informed the congregation of First Baptist Church of Bowling Green that if they violated the law, then they needed to be ready for the consequences of such action and it could mean death one day.  I used Dietrich Bonhoeffer as an example of one who violated government, but paid the price with his life.  He was a man of deep faith and I would encourage every believer to read his book The Cost of Discipleship especially as days approach in which we may have to rebel against the government because of decisions they pass into law that conflict with God’s standard.  Until that day comes, let us use all of the legal means available to us to stand for Jesus and to worship Him as we obey the local laws He allowed to be established.

Questions:
1.  Are you worshipping God as you obey the laws of the land?
2.  If you are not, what is your excuse for not surrendering to God’s authority which He established in our government?


Prayer: Father, even though I am truly a citizen of heaven, You have established the authority of the local governments in this world.  Help me to surrender to their authority unless they violate Your law.  Then give me the courage to stand boldly for You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment