Tuesday, February 24, 2015

We Worship God as We Let Go of the Corruptible

Scripture: 1 Peter 3:15-17
but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ will be put to shame.  For it is better, if God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong.

Insights:  The second part of our ability to live with confidence in Jesus is our submission to His authoritative power.  When I write this sentence I am really describing our ability to worship God as He takes us through the sanctifying process.  In today’s verses Peter starts off with the phrase, “but sanctify Christ as Lord in your heart.”  As we keep reading we see Peter gets more specific with regards to the areas we need to purge and the character traits we need to exhibit.  Now, Beloved, if you are like me, you probably don’t like the sanctifying process very much.  I like my sin and resist the Lord’s rebukes.  I know that His will is best.  I know that He has my best interest at heart.  In fact, when I am truly close to Him and experiencing true intimacy with Him, I also desire to obey Him.  The problem is me and my self-rule.  I do not always wish to be led.  I want to be the leader.  I want to be the boss.  Beloved, let me encourage you to seek the Lord.  Let Him truly purge you.  As I indicated, when I have done this and when I am in a right relationship with my Savior, I fully and completely know His will is best.  In those moments I feel His satisfaction and my life is filled with joy.  So, let us all cast off anything that might hinder us from running with Jesus well; and indeed, be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks us for the reason of our hope.  Jesus is the One who empowers and strengthens us to go through the persecution for being obedient to Him.  It is my prayer that as we cast off all our corruptible iniquity that the Lord’s light might shine in our lives and that many may come to the saving knowledge of Jesus as their Lord.

Questions:
1.  Is there an area of your life that keeps pulling you down and away from Jesus?
2.  Have you come to realize that will power alone is not going to save you from this particular area?


Prayer: Father, purge my life of its selfish and self-centered desires of temporary pleasures.  Let Your Spirit guide and direct my life to such an extent that I humble myself to Your correcting hand and allow You to cleanse every part of me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment