Friday, January 30, 2015

A Worshipper Who is Humble Puts Aside His/Her Pride

Scripture: 1 Peter 2:1-3
Therefore, putting aside all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander, like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation, if you have tasted the kindness of the Lord.

Insights:  I do not have time to cover all that I spoke about regarding these verses, but I will do the best I can to summarize.  The basic gist of these verses is to instruct us to put away our pride.  If you look at those first five character traits that Peter referenced, you will recognize they all stem around the fact that the person practicing these attributes is trying to put themselves above other people.  In my sermon I explained how each of these five actions brought about that result.  Next I focused on how slander is a type or form of gossip, but with an attempt to destroy another persons character.  So, for a brief time I explained how gossip is, in my opinion, the most prevalent and destructive attribute of the American church.  We constantly are talking about other people to the detriment of the body of Christ.  I then shared how we stop gossip from spreading.  Basically, when a person approaches you with words about another person, stop them by saying something like, “I appreciate your concern regarding this situation.  I will be praying for you, but I also encourage you to go to X-person and share with them your concerns.”  What will this person do at that point?  They will leave you and go and find someone else and try again to share their concern.  But what if that person gave the same response?  And the person after this second person did the same thing?  Eventually the gossiper would realize that in this church they don’t tolerate gossip.  They will eventually change or move on to a church that does accept gossip.  Beloved, let me encourage you to stop gossip and slander from spreading and damaging the body of Christ.  I concluded this section with the reality that if one is going to see or taste the kindness and glory of the Lord, then he/she must be humble.  The way we become humble is by feasting on God’s Word and letting it heal us of ourselves.  If we will strive to know the Lord, then these other sinful attributes Peter mentioned will not even be in appearance in our lives.  Beloved, let us walk humbly with our Lord.

Questions:
1.  Would others characterize you as being a prideful person?
2.  Are you learning the secrets of being content in the Lord only means becoming humble in His sight?


Prayer: Father, so often I am absorbed with my own passions and pleasures.  I seek after my prideful heart.  Lord, forgive me for this sinful rebellion against You.  Humble me I pray and help me to walk in obedience with You.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment