Monday, June 24, 2013

We Readjust Our Work Load

Scripture: Exodus 18:19-20

"Now listen to me: I will give you counsel, and God be with you. You be the people's representative before God, and you bring the disputes to God, then teach them the statutes and the laws, and make known to them the way in which they are to walk and the work they are to do.

Insights:  This week concludes our study in Exodus chapter eighteen.  Along the way we have examined a time of reflection, rejoicing and realization.  This week we will look at a time of readjustment.  In hindsight I wish I had labeled one of my points in the very first week as work and not faithfulness.  Here is what I mean.  In this eighteenth chapter there has been a theme that has run a consistent course and that them is work.  In other words, in the sermon titled A Time of Reflection, one of the points was we reflect on God’s faithfulness (I wish I had said work here).  In the next sermon on rejoicing, one of the points were we rejoice because of God’s work.  Then in third sermon on realization, one of the points were we realize God calls us to work.  And then in yesterday’s sermon on readjustment, one of the points were we readjust our work load.  As you can see there is a constant theme that ran throughout the entire eighteenth chapter and that theme was work.  On this side of eternity, because of the fall, our work is hard a laborious.  When we finally get to eternity with Jesus, we will still work, but our work will be utterly joyous and satisfying.  We will work without the constraints of sin in our lives.  Looking a little more closely at today’s verses we see Jethro has given Moses counsel in regards to his work load.  At this point Jethro has just told Moses what he is doing is not good for him or the people.  He is now giving Moses godly counsel to change how he has been operating in the day to day business of the people and is encouraging him to redistribute the work load.  There are times in our lives, we need to reexamine our productizing and ask the Lord if what we are doing presently is the best and most productive.  If it is not, then we need to be will to readjust our work.

Questions:
  1. What work are you presently doing that needs to be readjusted?
  2. Are you grateful God has given you the blessing of work or are you resentful that you have been called to work?
Prayer: Father, forgive me for the times I am not grateful for the work You have called me to do.  At the same time, more often than not, I am truly grateful and I thank You for Your good plan and purpose.  Open my eyes and reveal to my heart the areas of work in my life that need to be readjusted.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment