Friday, November 14, 2014

Jesus Bore Our Punishment

Scripture: Matthew 27:46
About the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” that is, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”

Insights: The last thing I wish to point out this week is how Jesus bore our punishment.  The concept of what actually sends a person to the Lake of Fire can be at times difficult for some to grasp.  I also understand that throughout church history there have been varying interpretations as to what actually sends a person to the Lake of Fire, which is the second death, or eternal separation from the love and grace of God.  So, in my explanation, I am tipping my hand and revealing my theological position.  It is my interpretation that on the cross of Calvary Jesus bore the full weight of God’s wrath for sin.  In other words, ALL sin was covered on the cross; therefore, what prevents us from going to heaven with our Lord and Savior is not our sin, but our rejection of Him personally.  If one does not receive the free gift of eternal life offered and purchased by Jesus, then the Lord God will give that person exactly what they desire, which is eternity in the Lake of Fire.  The wrath which was dispensed upon Jesus, however, was rightfully mine because of my sin.  I was the one who acted in rebellion to our loving Lord and deserve such judgment.  Jesus, however, displayed His grace, mercy and love for me by taking what was rightfully mine and bore God’s wrath.  This work is beyond my comprehension and I will truly not know how much my sin truly cost this righteous and holy God, but I am so grateful He bore my punishment.  Beloved, let me encourage you to contemplate the work of Jesus and then to go and share His hope to a world in need of a Savior.  To His great name be praise for His incalculable mercies and grace!

Questions:
1.  Have you rejected the grace Jesus provided for you by taken your punishment?
2.  If you have rejected this grace, why and what will it take for you to reconsider this decision?


Prayer: Father, thank You for sending Your Son and taking my punishment.  Just as I said yesterday, I will never be able to appropriately express my appreciation for Your gracious gift of mercy and love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment