Thursday, December 12, 2013

God Sees the Heart

Scripture: Luke 1:34
Mary said to the angel, "How can this be, since I am a virgin?"

Insights: Notice Mary’s question is not that much different from Zacharias question found in verse eighteen.  Zacharias said to the angel, "How will I know this for certain? For I am an old man and my wife is advanced in years."  In the New American Standard Bible the words for certain were italicized.  The reason was because the translators added those.  In this case, the King James Version is a more literal word-for-word translation.  It reads, “And Zacharias said unto the angel, Whereby shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in years.”  The English Standard Version states, “And Zechariah said to the angel, "How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is advanced in years.”  Here is my point: Zacharias asked a how question and then gave his reasoning behind his doubt with a statement about his age.  Mary asked a how question and then gave her reasoning about her virginity.  Why was Zacharias punished and Mary commended when they both asked a how question?  The answer is because God SEES the HEART.  Zacharias asked with a heart of doubt and did not actually believe God was capable of making this birth of his son come to pass. Mary, however, asked with a heart of faith and she actually did believe God was capable.  Mary just wanted to know how it was going to happen because she believed it was going to come to pass.  Beloved, the Lord knows us better than we know ourselves and He knows the truth of our heart.  I want you to notice one more thing as well.  Mary did question God.  It is alright to ask the Lord questions.  You can ask Him the why and how questions you face in this world.  He is a very large God and He can handle it.  What is important in those questions is the sincerity of the heart.  God knows the truth behind the question as He examines you.  Ask all the questions you need to, but do it from the vantage point of faith.

Questions:
  1. When you have questions for the Lord are they from faith or doubt?
  2. Are you aware the Lord sees the motive and intent of the heart?

Prayer: Father, You know me better than I know myself.  You know my every anxious thought and know the truth of my heart.  Increase my faith Lord and allow me to respond in obediently as Mary did.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment