Friday, September 14, 2012

Judgment Given by God

Scripture: Malachi 2:9
"So I also have made you despised and abased before all the people, just as you are not keeping My ways but are showing partiality in the instruction.

Insights: Notice the first word in verse nine.  The word is “so” and it means “because of”.  God is saying, “because of your choice to remain in your rebellion [what we looked at yesterday] I have made you despised and abased.”  Judgment is the natural result of our sinful rebellion.  There will always be consequences of some nature because of our sin.  I do wish to clarify a little bit regarding rebellion and this form of judgment the Lord is dispensing on these priests.  This kind of sinning is not just those occasional sins we in the mortal world commit.  This is an ongoing rebellious heart that has heard God’s warnings, reminders and instructions and still says, “I heard you, but I just don’t care.  I am going to do things my way no matter what.”  It is to this kind of person that the judgment found in verse nine is being described.  Now, at the same time, does that mean for those of us who are striving to remain in a love relationship with the Lord, and who by our old sinful nature entertain sin, that consequences are not going to result because we come quickly and repent?  The answer is NO.  Sin always carries with it consequences, but because of true repentance, forgiveness is granted.  Let me illustrate it with my habitual sin with which the Lord is constantly working on my heart.  Let’s say I ate the entire half gallon of ice cream and then I feel the convicting power of the Holy Spirit regarding this gluttonous act.  I genuinely from the heart repent.  The Lord in His patient love forgives.  At this point, does that mean the calories of fat and sugar that I have just eaten will disappear because the Lord has forgiven me.  Again, the answer is NO.  The extra weight I now carry is the consequences of my sin.  But let us return now to the heart that feels the conviction of the Lord and still desires to remain in rebellious sin.  It is to this person the Lord places the judgment of verse nine.  It is interesting the word used here for despised is the same word used in chapter one, verse six.  In chapter one, it is the people who have despised the Name of the Lord; and now, they are receiving the judgment with the very thing they had done to the Lord.  The same thing is true regarding the word abased.  God is returning to them what they did to Him.

Questions:
  1. Are you in jeopardy of the Lord’s judgment?
  2. If you are, are you willing to repent and turn your heart back to the Father?
Prayer: Father, thank You for Your patient love.  Forgive me of my rebellion and spare me from Your judgment.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment