Thursday, August 23, 2012

God's Mystery about Love - Part 2

Scripture: Malachi 1:3-4
but I have hated Esau, and I have made his mountains a desolation and appointed his inheritance for the jackals of the wilderness." Though Edom says, "We have been beaten down, but we will return and build up the ruins"; thus says the LORD of hosts, "They may build, but I will tear down; and men will call them the wicked territory, and the people toward whom the LORD is indignant forever."

Insights: Yesterday we learned salvation is not based on us.  Second, God desires that all be saved.  Third, God does the drawing on men’s hearts.  At this point some would argue that God must draw on all men’s hearts, but that is just not biblically accurate.  Our fourth point is God sometimes creates vessels of destruction.  Romans 9:22 reads, “What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction?”  You might ask are their biblical examples of these vessels of wrath and the answer is yes.  Exodus 9:16 states, “But I [God] have raised you [Pharaoh] up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”  The purpose for which God raised him up was his destruction.  In fact, when you get to the plague of the boils, the Bible makes statements like this one, “But the Lord hardened Pharaoh’s heart (Ex. 9:12).”  So, God has created some vessels for destruction so that those saved by grace may better understand the gift they have received.  The final point, however, is God gives humanity free will to choose or reject Him.  Joshua in his famous farewell sermon said these words, “If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”  So, God also desires for His creation to want to choose to love Him.  Now the mystery comes full circle.  God draws, but He does not draw on everyone.  Those He does draw on have the free will to reject His promptings.  If they choose to receive the grace offered in the drawings, then they are saved and the Holy Spirit comes and makes them born again.  How God works all of this out in His sovereign election, I do not know.  I just trust by faith God does and I am grateful He drew on my heart.

Questions:
  1. What will you choose today?
  2. Is there anything holding you back from receiving the love of God?
Prayer: Father, again this morning I thank You that You have drawn on my heart and allowed me to respond to Your grace.  Father, please keep drawing on all men.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment