Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Choose to Remember the Lord, Part 2

Scripture: Joshua 24:17-18
for the LORD our God is He who brought us and our fathers up out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage, and who did these great signs in our sight and preserved us through all the way in which we went and among all the peoples through whose midst we passed.  "The LORD drove out from before us all the peoples, even the Amorites who lived in the land. We also will serve the LORD, for He is our God."
 
Insights:  We mentioned yesterday that the Israelites remembered God’s faithfulness to them and it aided them in choosing to follow after God.  We then mentioned we were going to “remember” different traits of Jesus that we often times take for granted or even over look in our lives.  The first traits and dimensions of Jesus I wish to review is His Lordship.  In Acts 2:36 Peter, in the first sermon of the New Testament Church, said, “Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.”  Peter is making it abundantly clear in calling Jesus Lord and Christ that Jesus is the anointed One.  He is set apart.  His IS God’s Chosen One, and as such, He IS Lord, and therefore, in control.  Nothing happens outside of His providential hand.  One of the traditions I have observed living in the South is the raising of children to say, “Yes, ma’am” or “Yes, sir.”  I really like this picture of respect and authority.  We as Christ-followers need to get to the place we are saying, “Yes Sir” to Jesus no matter what He tells us.  There is no room for debate.  He IS Lord.  Another characteristic I want us to review is Jesus is our Love.  Jeremiah the prophet foretold of the type of love Jesus would have for us when he wrote, “the Lord appeared to him from far away. I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.”  Jeremiah is using wedding language here.  He is describing the faithful love of a husband to his bride.  Jesus IS our Love and the church is His bride.  If we are born again, we are a part of the church and therefore the recipients of His everlasting love.  Because of our union with Christ and our upcoming wedding we are empowered to love others with the same kind of love we have been given.  Beloved, let Jesus’ love shine through your lives today!

Questions:
  1. Are you surrendered under the Lordship of Jesus?
  2. Are you allowing Jesus’ love to flow through you?
Prayer: Lord Jesus, I humble myself before You and ask for forgiveness for times in which I take the lead in my life.  You are Lord and God and I am not.  Teach me to be submissive to Your will and let Your love permeate my entire life.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment