Thursday, March 22, 2012

God's Judgment on the Wicked

Scripture: Matthew 21:40-41
Therefore when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those vine-growers?”  They said to Him, “He will bring those wretches to a wretched end, and will rent out the vineyard to other vine-growers who will pay him the proceeds at the proper seasons.”

Insights:  I want us to focus on the first part of these verses today: God as a righteous judge.  The psalmist cries out, “Your hands made me and formed me; give me understanding so that I can learn Your commands.  Those who fear You will see me and rejoice, for I put my hope in Your word.  I know, Lord, that Your judgments are just and that You have afflicted me fairly.  May Your faithful love comfort me as You promised Your servant.  May Your compassion come to me so that I may live, for Your instruction is my delight (119:73-77, italics mine).”  The psalmist knows God is a relational God and the best way to know God is to spend time with Him in His Word.  It is for this reason he calls God’s instructions his delight.  The psalmist also understands the fear of the Lord and it is for this reason he puts his hope in God’s promises which are found in His Word.  There are two eternal judgments and everyone is going to face one of them.  The first is for Believers and is known as the Bema seat of Christ.  1 Corinthians 3:10-15 deal with this subject matter.  The second is for the Condemned and is known as the Great White Throne Judgment.  Revelation 20:11-15 deal with this subject matter.  It is my opinion that these farmers fell into the later judgment because the parable tells us that God will bring those wretches to a wretched end.  That wretched end is eternal damnation in the lake of fire, otherwise known as hell.  This damnation is known as the second death and is always in reference to those who do not have a saving relationship with Jesus Christ.  I think the part of this parable that is the most shocking is that verse 41 is the crowd giving the correct response back to Jesus regarding themselves.  In other words, we know from verse 45, which we will look at tomorrow, that the religious leaders were there in midst of this crowd and more than likely the ones giving the answer back to Jesus.  They recognized their eternal direction and did nothing about it.  As such, they prove God’s judgments are just and fair.  Jesus is giving them opportunity to repent and they reject His offer of grace.  How incredibly sad!

Questions:
  1. Do you have a proper biblical fear of the Lord and His power?
  2. Are you living an obedient life?                              
Prayer: Righteous Judge, Your ways are perfect and Your judgments are always right.  Purify my heart and mold me into the person You desire.  Protect me from wickedness and be merciful I pray.  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment