Friday, November 6, 2015

God Dictates the Future

Scripture: 2 Kings 1:16-18
Then he said to him, “Thus says the Lord, ‘Because you have sent messengers to inquire of Baal-zebub, the god of Ekron—is it because there is no God in Israel to inquire of His word?—therefore you shall not come down from the bed where you have gone up, but shall surely die.’”  So Ahaziah died according to the word of the Lord which Elijah had spoken. And because he had no son, Jehoram became king in his place in the second year of Jehoram the son of Jehoshaphat, king of Judah.  Now the rest of the acts of Ahaziah which he did, are they not written in the Book of the Chronicles of the Kings of Israel?

Insights:  We conclude this week with an understanding that God is the One who dictates and holds the future.  In today’s passage, Elijah gives a future prediction regarding Ahaziah and then in a few verses we are told this prophetic word came to pass exactly as Elijah had stated it.  God holds the future and in the paraphrase of the psalmist, I believe God has good for us in the land of the living (27:13).  The issue at stake is who is going to be in charge of my life.  In other words, am I going to live life like Ahaziah and believe I am the dictator of my future or am I going to live life like Elijah and understand God is the dictator of my future.  We as a people need to seek the Lord out and ask Him what the future holds and when He answers, we need to set our course deliberately after Him and His commission in our lives.  So, for example, I shared with FBCBG we have a Vision Workshop coming up on November 15.  I encouraged them all to attend and come and see the vision the Strategic Planning Team senses the Lord is telling us.  It gives us a picture of where we sense God is telling us to go.  We need to walk in obedience with Him now and watch Him do amazing things as He clears the path for which we are to walk.  This path is a faith journey.  There are going to be times in which it is scary, but we know the One who is clearing the path already knows and hold the future in His hand.  We can trust Him for His goodness.  Let us walk with Him and see Him bring good to us in the land of the living.

Questions:
1.  Do you understand your future is in the hand of the Lord God?
2.  Who is the boss of your journey, God or you?


Prayer: Father, it is my belief You have great days in front of me.  Help me to walk humbly with You and experience Your goodness in the land of the living in which I presently dwell.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment