Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Our Passion is Found in Jesus

Scripture: Matthew 9:15b
But the days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them, and then they will fast.

Insights: In the second half of verse fifteen we see the definitive reality that believers in Jesus are supposed to be fasting.  I think, however, we miss the reason for this necessity of fasting at times.  The reason the disciples are fasting is because they have discovered, as we learned yesterday, that their pleasure is found in Jesus. The pleasure is what we personally receive out of the relationship.  The fasting is our part of the equation and it shows our passion for that pleasure we find in Jesus.  Remember as we discussed fasting on Monday, in Jesus’ day it was literally a forsaking of food for a time.  What the one fasting was literally saying in their heart is I want the Lord God more than I want life itself.  That kind of devotion can only be summed up with the word passion.  Jesus ought to be the object of our passion.  We ought to desire Him more than anything else in this world.  He is more important than relationships.  He is more important than hobbies and activities of pleasure.  He is more important than objects we possess.  He is more important than food; and as such, more important than life itself.  I personally want to get to the place in my walk with Jesus that I am literally consulting Him before every conversation, action, motive and habit in my life.  I want Him to be the all consuming fire within me that dictates everything I do and say.  I want my life to be characterized as one full of passion for Jesus.  It is my belief that fasting will help in that process.  Beloved, may you find your passion in Jesus and may it consume you.

Questions:
1.  In what do you experience passion?
2.  Have you ever been so consumed with someone or something that that person or object was all about which you could think?

Prayer: Father, passion is an item missing in many peoples lives; and like many of the things this week, all too often true of myself as well.  Lord, place within me a passion for Jesus.  Let me want Him more than anything else in the world.  Be pleased with my pursuit of Your Son.  Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment