Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Are You a Vessel of Honor, Part 2

Photo by Walid Mahfoudh
Scripture: 2 Timothy 2:20-26
Now in a large house there are not only gold and silver vessels, but also vessels of wood and of earthenware, and some to honor and some to dishonor.  Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work.  Now flee from youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.  But refuse foolish and ignorant speculations, knowing that they produce quarrels.  The Lord’s bond-servant must not be quarrelsome, but be kind to all, able to teach, patient when wronged, with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.

Insights: Yesterday we learned three truths about vessels of honor.  These truths were vessels of honor are sanctified for good works.  Vessels of honor pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace.  The third truth we learned was vessels of honor associate with others who have a pure heart in the Lord.  Today, we will learn four more truths about vessels of honor.  The first today is vessels of honor are kind to all.  I don’t know about you, but now I am meddling in my own affairs of life.  All too often I am an unkind individual, but I desire to be a kind individual to all with whom I come in contact.  The second truth today about vessels of honor is vessels of honor are able to teach.  I don’t think this requires us all to be preachers or Sunday School teachers.  I think this can even be our ability to live a life of character which inspires others to live more fully.  We are all teachers, but a vessel of honor is intentional about their desire to instruct others toward Jesus.  The third truth is vessels of honor are patient when wronged.  Just as with kindness, all too often I desire to get vengeance against those who have wronged me.  The Lord, however, instructs me to be patient with them just as He is patient with me.  The final truth is vessels of honor gently correct those who are in opposition with them.  When we win the argument but lose the soul because our attitude was not gentle, then did we really win the argument?  I think the answer is no.  We only win the argument when we have done it in the right attitude.  May hope is my life exemplifies the Lord.  Beloved, I pray we are all vessels of honor.

Questions:
 1. Are you kind the those who are difficult in personality?
 2. Are you able to gently correct those who are in opposition to you with the hope of winning them to your point of view?

Prayer: Father, I am so often not kind and patient with others.  Forgive me when I do not display Your character to a world in need of Your love.  Let me teach with gentleness Your amazing grace.  Amen.



If you have found this blog to be helpful, please forward it in Facebook or retweet it in Twitter.  I would also appreciate if you would tell your friends to read this blog.  As always, if you have a comment you would like to make regarding this Thoughts by Scott, please feel free to leave your thoughts in the comment section.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment