Friday, April 12, 2013

The Mountains of Faith


Scripture: Nehemiah 6:14-16
Remember, O my God, Tobiah and Sanballat according to these works of theirs, and also Noadiah the prophetess and the rest of the prophets who were trying to frighten me. So the wall was completed on the twenty-fifth of the month Elul, in fifty-two days. When all our enemies heard of it, and all the nations surrounding us saw it, they lost their confidence; for they recognized that this work had been accomplished with the help of our God.

Insights: We finish this week on the top of mountain.  Tuesday through Thursday has been valley moments in our study this week.  Nehemiah had endured three types of attacks, but he kept his head down and pressed on allowing God to work through him.  As a result, we get to read today’s verses.  The wall was completed!  Praise the Lord!  Chuck Swindoll writes beautifully about this moment in Nehemiah’s life.  He wrote, “That has to be the most thrilling experience in the world—to watch God come to the rescue when you have been helpless. In the middle of the incessant assault of the enemy, in spite of the endless verbal barrage, the wall was built! While the enemy blasts, God builds.”  I believe this mountain top moment is one on which every believer needs to ponder.  The reason is because it embodies the spiritual journey of all Christ-followers.  Here is what I mean by that statement.  We have been building a spiritual wall out of bricks of character.  How do you think these character traits are developed?  The first part of the answer is by spending time alone with God in His Word and in prayer.  How, then does God determine if you are truly learning His lessons?  That answer is the second part of the original question and that is by allowing you to go through tests and trials.  If we are going to be men and women of faith, if we are going to do the will of God, then we are going to be attacked.  It is impossible to live for Jesus and not be assaulted in some way.  When we go through those difficult valleys, we are then able to say with the psalmist, “I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; From where shall my help come?  My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth (121:1-2).”  What rejoicing those mountain top moments are!  Beloved, I pray you cherish each and every one in which you participate.

Questions:
  1. Are you in awe of God’s provisions and power, especially when all seems lost or hopeless?
  2. What mountain top moment have you recently experienced?
Prayer: Father, I am so grateful that You work in my life no matter what I am I think is going on around me.  Keep my heart pliable and sensitive to Your presence and Your working.  Give to me a heart of thanksgiving for Your everlasting love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment