Monday, July 23, 2012

Sacrifice of Ego

Scripture: 2 Corinthians 11:21
To my shame I must say that we have been weak by comparison. But in whatever respect anyone else is bold-- I speak in foolishness-- I am just as bold myself.

Insights:  First, I am grateful to be back sharing my thoughts which are derived from my sermons each week.  I have missed you all during my time of computer exile.  Second, let’s jump into today’s Thoughts by Scott.  This week’s passage of Scripture is 2 Corinthians 11:21-30.  In this passage Paul is justifying his ministry through the various areas he has sacrificed for the Lord.  Paul starts with a comment about his weakness in comparison to these other “apostles” and he concludes in verse thirty with another statement about his weakness in which he will boast.  This first area in which Paul displays his sacrifice is regarding himself.  In other words, if Paul was trying to be bold for his own reputation he would not have been in the ministry.  He was a stuttering, for all practical purposes, blind, hunchback.  He is not the poster boy of good looks and charm.  As for his stuttering, in verse six of this eleventh chapter Paul states he does not speak well.  Church history points to his stuttering.  As for his eyesight, the letter to the church of Galatia references the peoples hurt in regards to Paul’s vision.  As for his hunchback appearance, we rely on church history.  Here is the point.  If Paul cared about his reputation, he would never have been a minister of the gospel.  He has none of the natural appeal often times associated with what we would consider a successful preacher in the human sense.  Yet, Paul is declaring, I am bold for Jesus because it is not about me, but it is about Him.  It is as if Paul is saying, “If people make fun of me because I stumble into walls and stutter when I speak and look funny hunched over, then so be it, my Jesus is worth it!”  We live in a society where people make all kinds of excuses why they can’t do something for Jesus.  Paul would look at our society and say, “What is wrong with you?  Is Jesus not worth any self-reproach?  Live boldly for Him and stop focusing on yourself!”  Beloved, let us live that kind of life.

Questions:
  1. Is there anything in your life holding you back from sacrificing your all for Jesus?
  2. What is the Lord telling you to do for Him?
Prayer: Lord, Paul is such a faithful example of obedience.  Thank You for the encouragement he brings into my life.  May I learn to be as sacrificial as he was.  May I walk boldly like him.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment